Thursday, April 9, 2015

Pay It Forward

I'm always looking for ways to pay it forward because one of my goals in this life is to leave the world in a better place than it was when I found it.  I know that the best way to do that is to start with myself and be the best I can be.  I cannot focus on what others are or are not doing.  In doing what I can to recognize my shortfalls and my strengths I can move forward and achieve my goal.  

The other evening my husband and I were fortunate to be able to serve families at the Ronald McDonald House in St. Louis.  We were actually part of a group from my husband's work place, and together we all worked together to prepare a meal for these families. It's important that when family members come "home" from a very long, stressful day at the hospital, learning about their children's illness, comforting them, worrying about what the future will bring, and just coping in general, that they can just sit, eat, rest, talk and prepare themselves for the next day.

We took a tour of the RMH and learned that everything this organization works with, from supplies for cleaning, to food, to the furniture in all the rooms, all of it is donated.  

I've known since shortly after I became a demonstrator that Stampin' Up! has always donated to the Ronald McDonald House Charities and that the group I began stamping with has always donated cards to the local house in Springfield Illinois and now I know that I need to do something here in St. Louis for these houses.  

I am beginning a card making campaign so that everyone that comes to participate in my events can make cards for these families so they can keep in touch with their loved ones without having to go out and hunt for a card. We were told by the gentleman that took us on the tour that it was surprising to him how important these cards are to these family members.  Enough said.  Done.  I'll put these dates for my events on my blog and on my website.  I hope, if you live close by, that you'll be able to participate.  If you don't live close, maybe you can do this in your neck of the woods.  

No comments:

Post a Comment