Sunday, April 19, 2015

Happy Birthday!! Think Outside of the Box

Since our 2013-2015 In Colors are retiring soon I want to use them as much as I can.  Hence, this color combination...  
I also wanted to make something that was a bit different.  I'm not necessarily opposed to conformity, but it is refreshing to see "different" now and then, right?

I wanted to make sure my box would hold a small gift so to make it sturdy I sandwiched a piece of the backer board (the plain white piece found in the back of the DSP packets) between two pieces of DSP. I like to use the Glue Stick for this as I can get really good coverage and then I secured the paper to the board with my Brayer.  Some of the glue may ooze to the sides so be sure to wipe it away before you go any further.
                                  
This is a view of our Box Punch Board which is so easy to use!  
There is an extension arm that tucks away when not in use.  Such a great feature. 
To make your box, use the chart on the board and it will show your box size, how big you need to cut your paper, and where you need to make your scores. 
Since my piece was so thick, I was able to mark where I needed my notches by inserting as usual, and then I cut what the blade could not get through. Normally this board will cut through heavy card stock.
Next, to get my "outside the box", after gently folding on the score lines, I cut around all four sides on the middle score lines.   
Then I cut out the right side piece, as shown, all the way around so it sort of looks like a pinwheel. 
To secure my box so it would not EVER come apart I used Sticky Strip at the joints... 
and multipurpose adhesive on the remainder of the tab. 
Then I used my Bone Folder to press the pieces together firmly and continued until all four sides were adhered. 
Wala, the box! 
Next, I stamped my "strings" for my balloons.  I actually stamped a long piece of the backer board that I had cut to 1/4" and then cut it in half and glued all but about 1/2" to 1".  I spread the unglued portion and this became the foot for my balloon string, to give it stability.
 I used 2 balloon pieces so the back looks finished, as well and then to ensure that the strings stayed separated I put a little confetti card stock in the bottom.

Have fun creating your own box(es) and let me know if you have any questions!!  I'd love to see pix of your creations!!

Have a groovy day;)
Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment